The Role Tobacco Use Plays in Your Oral Health
By now, most of us know that smoking and other tobacco use is harmful to our general health and has been linked to increases in lung and throat cancer and COPD. But you may not be aware of the effects that smoking has on your oral health, and there are many.
How Smoking Affects Oral Health
Some changes in the mouth are obvious, such as heavily stained teeth or bad breath. However, some of the other symptoms that can occur are:
- Increased risk of gum disease
- Heavier plaque and tartar buildup
- Increased risk of bone loss
- Longer healing times post-surgery
- Increased risk of oral cancer
A heavy buildup of plaque and tartar increases your risk of gum infections, ...